Outstanding Faculty Advisor of the Year Award
Dr. Elena Keeling, 2016-17 Award winner
Professor, Biological Sciences
Dr. Elena Keeling is a Professor in Biological Sciences. She received her B.S. from Yale University and her Ph.D. from University of California, San Francisco. She joined the College of Science and Mathematics at Cal Poly in Fall 1996.
Students and staff alike commented on her approachability, compassion, and strong commitment to student success. One student commented that “Dr. Keeling is one of the best professors that I've had in college. Not only does she want one to succeed academically, but she also wants to get to know each of her students personally.”
2017 Nominations Now Closed
The Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, developed by the Academic Advising Council, recognizes a faculty member who has had a positive influence on students through academic advising. The award recipient will receive a $2,000 cash stipend and will be recognized by the President at Fall Conference, in addition to having his/her name posted on a perpetual plaque in the Kennedy Library. One faculty member is recognized annually.
Guidelines for submitting a nomination:
- The deadline for submitting nominations is Tuesday, March 14, 2017.
- Faculty, staff, and current students are eligible to nominate faculty for this award.
- At least one submission must come from a current student.
- No self-nominations will be accepted.
- Individual Submissions only. If more than one person would like to nominate a faculty member, each person must submit separate nominations.
- Submissions must include a statement of 300 words or less describing the nominee’s academic advising services, activities and interactions, as distinct from the nominee’s teaching responsibilities.
- Previous awardees are not eligible.
- Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org