Outstanding Faculty Advisor of the Year Award
Dr. Lauren Kolodziejski, 2018-19 Award winner
Assistant Professor, Communication studies, cla
Dr. Lauren Kolodziejski is an Assistant Professor in Communication Studies. She earned her B.A. and B.S. from Winthrop University, her M.A. from the University of Colorado-Boulder, and her Ph.D. from the University of Washington.
Dr. Kolodziejski’s commitment to student success is clearly articulated in her advising philosophy and in the nominations submitted on her behalf for the faculty advisor award. According to Dr. Kolodziejski’s advising philosophy, her approach to advising focuses on three guidelines: listen more than talk, don’t wait for a question to be asked, and share the struggle. These three guidelines are also reflected in the comments provided by her student nominators. One stated that she is “the only professor that has made a profound impact on my experience at Cal Poly”. In addition, another student nominator wrote “she deeply cares for each and every one of her students.” She has served as an advisor for students’ senior projects, encouraged and mentored students through the law school application process, and provided support for students during times of stress. There are only a few of many examples students shared highlighting her caring and supportive nature.
Dr. Kolodziejski has also served as a volunteer academic coach for the First Year Success program for students on academic probation. She worked with students from a variety of majors to help them establish goals for success and followed up to see if they are meeting their goals. The evidence of her dedication to students speaks to how deserving she is of the Outstanding Faculty Advising Award. Congratulations, Dr. Lauren Kolodziejski!
2018-2019 Nominations are now Closed
The Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, developed by the Academic Advising Council, recognizes a faculty member who has had a positive influence on students through academic advising. The award recipient will receive a $2,000 cash stipend and will be recognized by the President at Fall Conference, in addition to having his/her name posted on a perpetual plaque in the Kennedy Library. One faculty member is recognized annually.
Guidelines for submitting a nomination:
- Faculty, staff, and current students are eligible to nominate faculty for this award.
- At least one submission must come from a current student.
- No self-nominations will be accepted.
- Individual Submissions only. If more than one person would like to nominate a faculty member, each person must submit separate nominations.
- Submissions must include a statement of 300 words or less describing the nominee’s academic advising services, activities and interactions, as distinct from the nominee’s teaching responsibilities.
- Previous awardees are not eligible.
- Any questions can be directed to email@example.com