About University Advising
University Advising, a division of Academic Programs and Planning in Academic Affairs, provides oversight for university-wide academic advising. As the Assistant Vice Provost for University Advising, I collaborate with advising centers across campus to offer students a timely and consistent advising experience, revise and implement policies focused on student success, and facilitate strategic planning for campus wide advising. In addition, I provide guidance for the leadership of the Mustang Success Center, a general advising center for all students.
The Assistant Vice Provost for University Advising (AVPUA) at Cal Poly is responsible for providing timely and consistent advising for undergraduate students.
This includes reviewing and revising university policies that focus and ensure student success. This responsibility is carried out through ongoing campus collaboration, partnerships, and advancing the field of advising. The assistant vice provost develops the vision and provides the leadership to ensure consultation and successful collaboration between administrators, faculty, staff, and students within the division and externally. The AVPUA works in close collaboration with the Associate Deans and Advising Directors in each college to coordinate activities within and across the academic colleges.
Responsibilities of University Advising
- Facilitate strategic Planning and Leadership
- Oversee of the Mustang Success Center
- Collaborate with and coordinate advising services
- Assess advising efforts
- Review and revise university policies (change of major, academic probation/disqualification, expected academic progress)
- Provide professional Development for Advisors
The Assistant Vice Provost for University Advising reports to Academic Programs and Planning.
The AVPUA works closely with Associate Deans and Advising Directors (coordinate advising services in each college), Office of the Registrar (assist with implementation of university policy and communication to faculty/staff/students), Student Affairs (provide consistent student experiences through support services- primarily with New Student & Transition Programs, Dean of Students, Student Academic Services, Career Services), and Advisors throughout campus (campus advising meetings to ensure ongoing collaboration and communication).
Initiatives and Committees in Progress
- Collaborative Advising For Student Success (CASS)
- Weekly Advising meetings that rotate between Advising Directors, College Advisors, and Campus Wide Advisors
- Change of Major Initiative
- Academic Probation & Disqualification
- Professional Development for Advising Community
Beth Merritt Miller, PhD
Assistant Vice Provost, University Advising
: (805) 756-5759
StrengthsQuest: Relator • Arranger • Input • Achiever • Positivity