Change of Major
Changing your major is a multi-step process and specialized to each major. This website is to be used as a guideline. Students must have conversations with appropriate offices and departments to see if changing their major is possible.
- Students must complete at least one quarter at Cal Poly before they are eligible to enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).
- Students are expected to research their options and make a well-informed decision before entering into an ICMA. This includes attending workshops and conversations with advisors and departments.
- Students are allowed 1 ICMA per major. Students who do not meet the conditions of their ICMA will not be issued another ICMA for that major.
- Change of major is not guaranteed; but it is possible though the policies that we have set up for each major. Criteria changes as demand changes for each major.
- Review Cal Poly’s General Change of Major Policy in full
Cal Poly terms used on this website
- COM- Change of major
- ICMA- Individualized change of Major Agreement
- Intended Major- major you plan on changing into
Step 1: Research
- Attend a university workshop to learn about the Change of Major process. This workshop will review resources to help find the best major for you. It will also identify and explore ways to further research your options and next steps. View Workshop Dates
- Review guidelines and procedures for your intended major:
- Continue to research your intended major:
Step 2: Complete Change of Major Inquiry Form
If You Have Not Submitted an Inquiry
Access the change of major portlet
Log onto your Cal Poly Portal. Type “change of major” into the search bar at the top right of your Portal. Click “Go” to search. Select the “Change of Major” link under the Portal Content column located on the right side of the portal page
Access the Change of Major Inquiry Form:
Complete the short questionnaire based on your Change of Major experience so far and select ONE major from the drop-down menu
Based on your responses on the questionnaire, you will be directed to one of the following pages:
- Resources and Workshops
- Change of Major Eligibility Inquiry Form
If you are directed to the Resources and Workshops page, we suggest that you explore the resources available to you:
- If you try to sign up for a workshop and it says it is full, we suggest that you still show up. We will try out best to accommodate all students that show up for a workshop.
- If there are not any more workshops available for this term, or you have any follow up questions about change of major, please contact the Mustang Success Center in building 52 or call at 805-756-6211.
- Additionally, further details on changing your major to a specific major can be found on the advising website within that respective college. We encourage students to look at these requirements and bring their questions to the workshop. The workshop will provide a path for the next steps.
**NOTE: The initial questionnaire is SEPARATE from teh Change of Major Inquiry Form**
Submit the Change of Major Inquiry Form
If you are directed to the Change of Major Eligibility Inquiry Form, make sure you have selected ONE major to submit your inquiry to.
Respond to each of the 3 questions on the Change of Major Eligibility Inquiry Form. Each response has a 2000 character limit, including whitespace. Exceeding the character limit will result in the inability to submit your inquiry.
Once you have submitted an inquiry form, you will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the confirmation email will read, “Change of Major Inquiry Form Received”.
If You Have Submitted an Inquiry
View/Edit the status of your inquiry
Access the Change of Major Portlet via the Search Bar in your Cal Poly Portal.
You can view the status of your inquiry under the Change of Major Inquiry Form Details portlet. The default status of a new inquiry is “Requires Attention”. This status indicates that an inquiry form has been submitted.
The Change of Major Coordinator will evaluate your eligibility and update your status within 10 academic business days to one of the following:
- Eligible: Student meets initial change of major requirements to proceed to next steps of developing an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) as outlined in the email from the Change of Major Coordinator.
- Not Eligible: Student does not meet initial change of major requirements to proceed to next steps for developing an ICMA. An advisors from the Mustang Success Center will reach out to the student to help determine next steps.
- Pending Further Action: Student eligibility for an ICMA is dependent on additional information. Student must proceed with next steps as outlined in the email from the Change of Major Coordinator.
You will be notified by email within 10 academic business days of updated status and the next steps you will need to take. Follow the directions outlined in the email.
A student can only have one (1) active inquiry form. In order to submit a new inquiry form for a different major, the student will either need to a.) withdraw their current inquiry form through their portlet or b.) be deemed “not eligible” by the Change of Major Coordinator.
You can withdraw your inquiry at any time during the inquiry process by clicking the “Withdraw” button under the Change of Major Inquiry Form Details portlet.
To confirm the withdrawal of your inquiry, click the “Yes, Withdraw” button in the pop-up window.
Once an inquiry has been withdrawn, the status of that inquiry will be listed as “WITHDRAWN_BY_STUDENT”.
To submit a new inquiry, click the “Start New Inquiry” button under the Change of Major Inquiry Form Details portlet.
Step 3: Follow steps as outlined in email from change of major coordinator
Students who have submitted a Change of Major Inquiry Form will receive an email to their Cal Poly email account from the Change of Major Coordinator. Students will be asked to follow the instructions as outlined in the email.