Summer School Options
Summer at Cal Poly 2018
April 16: Pass opens
April 24: Registration begins
May 1: Open Enrollment begins
Visit summer.calpoly.edu for more information
Summer at California Community College
Go to college Advising Center or Mustang Success Center for questions about:
- Degree applicable classes
Go to Community College for questions about:
- Enrollment dates
- Placement Tests or satisfying prerequisites
Summer at another 4 year or Out of State College
These courses require pre-approval by Cal Poly:
For GE courses send course descriptions to firstname.lastname@example.org
For major or support courses, obtain a Major/Support Substitution Form from your college advising center or your major's department
- Remember to send official transcripts from other colleges to Cal Poly once you've completed your courses
- Refer to the Form and Transcript Processing Timeline for more details.
When considering taking courses over the summer, there are many things to consider. Please watch this video first before exploring the other options below. All of these videos are meant to be an introduction to the conversation about summer quarter, please do not hesitate to reach out to the Mustang Success Center or your college advising center should you need clarification at any point.
Taking General Education courses at a California Community College
Watch this video to learn how to satisfy a Cal Poly general education area by taking courses at a California community college.
Summer School at Cal Poly
Watch this video to learn about taking courses over the summer at Cal Poly.
Please note, Quarter Plus is only offered for incoming freshmen for fall 2018
Taking a Major or support class at a California Community College
Watch this video to learn how to satisfy a Cal Poly major or support course by taking courses at a California community college.
California Virtual Campus can be a helpful tool to look into as well.
To satisfy a General Education area or a major/support course at Cal Poly by taking a course at an out-of-state institution or at another four-year institution, you will need to get it approved prior to taking the course. We highly encourage you to read the brief overviews below and then contact the Mustang Success Center or your college advising center for clarification on the process.
For a General Education course
- Identify the Cal Poly General Education area you would like to satisfy and become familiar with the courses offered within this area.
- This can be done here:
- Look for a course that has a very similar course description of the courses that satisfy the desired GE area at Cal Poly at the school you planning on attending.
- Once you have found an appropriate course description of a course that is being offered during the term you would like to take it, email email@example.com to see if it will transfer
- Send the email from your CP email and please include the Cal Poly General Education area are you are trying to satisfy as well as the URL link to the course description of the course you identified at the other institution.
- Cal Poly’s Evaluations Office will inform you as to whether or not the course will count, or if they need more information on the course/institution to provide an answer
- Once Evaluations has approved your course, apply for admission at that school, register for the course, complete the course.
- Once you have a grade, work with the college or university to send your transcripts to Evaluations at Cal Poly. It can take up to 1-2 quarters for your credit to be reflected in your Degree Progress Report.
For a Major or Support course
- Identify the course you would like to satisfy at Cal Poly.
- Read the course’s description at catalog.calpoly.edu under the “Courses A-Z” tab.
- Look for a course that has very similar course description at the desired institution.
- The description should address nearly all of the same concepts as the course at Cal Poly.
- Once you have found the course and see that it is being offered at that school during the desired term, you will need to fill out a “Major/Support Substitution Form.”
- If you are a part of the College of Engineering, College of Architecture and Environmental Design, College of Science and Mathematics, and Orfalea College of Business, you will pick up this form at your college advising center.
- If you are a part of the College of Liberal Arts or College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences, you will pick up the form at your major’s department office.
- Fill out the form, obtain the necessary signatures, and attach the course description. You will then wait to hear of approval. Please allow at least 2-3 weeks for this process.